Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety
- Committee on the Learning Health Care System in America, Institute of Medicine.Best Care at Lower Cost: The Path to Continuously Learning Health Care in America. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2012
- Overuse of health care services in the United States: An understudied problem.Arch Intern Med. 2012 Jan 23; 172: 171-178
- Computed tomography—An increasing source of radiation exposure.N Engl J Med. 2007 Nov 29; 357: 2277-2284
- Increasing utilization of computed tomography in the adult emergency department, 2000-2005.Emerg Radiol. 2006; 13: 25-30
- Computed tomography use in a tertiary care university hospital.J Am Coll Radiol. 2008; 5: 132-138
- Radiation dose associated with common computed tomography examinations and the associated lifetime attributable risk of cancer.Arch Intern Med. 2009 Dec 14; 169: 2078-2086
- Use of diagnostic imaging studies and associated radiation exposure for patients enrolled in large integrated health care systems, 1996-2010.JAMA. 2012 Jun 13; 307: 2400-2409
- Radiation Risks of Diagnostic Imaging.Sentinel Event Alert. Aug 24, 2011; (Accessed Sep 26, 2012)
- Use of advanced radiology during visits to US emergency departments for injury-related conditions, 1998-2007.JAMA. 2010 Oct 6; 304: 1465-1471
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Traumatic Brain injury in the United States: Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations and Deaths 2002–2006. Faul M. et al. Mar 2010. Accessed Sep 26, 2012. http://www.cdc.gov/traumaticbraininjury/pdf/blue_book.pdf.
- The clinical utility of computed tomographic scanning and neurologic examination in the management of patients with minor head injuries.J Trauma. 1992; 33: 3853-3894
- The National Traumatic Coma Data Bank. Part 2: Patients who talk and deteriorate: Implications for treatment.J Neurosurg. 1983; 59: 285-288
- Discussing radiation risks associated with CT scans with patients.JAMA. 2010 Nov 17; 304: 2170-2171
- Quality and consistency of guidelines for the management of mild traumatic brain injury in the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: 880-889
- The Canadian CT Head Rule for patients with minor head injury.Lancet. 2001 May 5; 357: 1391-1396
- Clinical policy: Neuroimaging and decisionmaking in adult mild traumatic brain injury in the acute setting.Ann Emerg Med. 2008; 52: 714-748
- Indications for computed tomography in patients with minor head injury.N Engl J Med. 2000 Jul 13; 343: 100-105
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Head Injury: Triage, Assessment, Investigation and Early Management of Head Injury in Infants, Children and Adults. Sep 2007. Accessed Sep 26, 2012. http://www.nice.org.uk/CG056.
- Comparison of the Canadian CT Head Rule and the New Orleans Criteria in patients with minor head injury.JAMA. 2005 Sep 28; 294: 1511-1518
- Performance of the Canadian CT Head Rule and the New Orleans Criteria for predicting any traumatic intracranial injury on computed tomography in a United States Level I trauma center.Acad Emerg Med. 2012; 19: 2-10
- External validation of the Canadian CT Head Rule and the New Orleans Criteria for CT scanning in patients with minor head injury.JAMA. 2005 Sep 28; 294: 1519-1525
Bentley S, et al. Emergency physicians’ clinical practice regarding the ACEP/CDC Adult Traumatic Brain Injury Clinical Policy. Paper presented at ACEP Scientific Assembly, Boston, 2009 (Abstract).
- A prospective cluster-randomized trial to implement the Canadian CT Head Rule in emergency departments.CMAJ. 2010 Oct 5; 182: 1527-1532
- Methodologic standards for the development of clinical decision rules in emergency medicine.Ann Emerg Med. 1999; 33: 437-447
- Implementation of the Canadian C-Spine Rule: Prospective 12 centre cluster randomised trial.BMJ. 2009 Oct 29; 339: b4146https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b4146
- Variation in ED use of computed tomography for patients with minor head injury.Ann Emerg Med. 1997; 30: 14-22
- Impact of the application of the American College of Emergency Physicians recommendations for the admission of patients with syncope on a retrospectively studied population presenting to the emergency department.Am Heart J. 2005; 149: 826-831
- Knowledge translation of the American College of Emergency Physicians clinical policy on hypertension.Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14: 1090-1096
- Knowledge translation of the American College of Emergency Physicians’ clinical policy on syncope using computerized clinical decision support.Int J Emerg Med. 2010 Jun 1; 3: 97-104
- Delphi consensus on the feasibility of translating the ACEP clinical policies into computerized clinical decision support.Ann Emerg Med. 2010; 56: 317-320
- S100B Immunoassay: An assessment of diagnostic utility in minor head trauma.J Emerg Med. 2011; 41: 285-293
Bovbjerg RR, Berenson RA. Urban Institute/Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: The Value of Clinical Practice Guidelines as Malpractice “Safe Harbors”. Apr 2012. Accessed Sep 20, 2012. http://www.rwjf.org/content/rwjf/en/research-publications/find-rwjf-research/2012/04/the-value-of-clinical-practiceguidelines-as-malpractice—safe-h.html.
- Evaluation of pulmonary embolism in the emergency department and consistency with a national quality measure: Quantifying the opportunity for improvement.Arch Intern Med. 2012 Jul 9; 172: 1028-1032
- Minor head injury: CT-based strategies for management—A cost-effectiveness analysis.Radiology. 2010; 254: 532-540
- Diagnostic imaging rates for head injury in the ED and states’ medical malpractice tort reforms.Am J Emerg Med. 2011; 29: 656-664
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010: Summary, analysis, and opportunities for advocacy for the academic emergency physician.Acad Emerg Med. 2010; 17: e69-e74
- On the origins and development of evidence-based medicine and medical decision making.Inflamm Res. 2004; 53: S184-S189
- Practice guidelines: Useful and “participative” method? Survey of Italian physicians by professional setting.Arch Intern Med. 2001 Sep 10; 161: 2037-2042
- The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2003 Jun 26; 348: 2635-2645
- National study on the quality of emergency department care in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction and pneumonia.Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14: 856-863
- Why don’t physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement.JAMA. 1999 Oct 20; 282: 1458-1465
- From best evidence to best practice: Effective implementation of change in patients’ care.Lancet. 2003 Oct 11; 362: 1225-1230
- The paths from research to improved health outcomes.ACP J Club. 2005; 142: A8-A10
- Knowledge translation: closing the evidence-to-practice gap.Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 49: 355-363
- Characteristics of effective clinical guidelines for general practice.Br J Gen Pract. 2003; 53: 15-19
- Changing provider behavior: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions.Med Care. 2001; 39: II2-II45
- Ten commandments for effective clinical decision support: Making the practice of evidence-based medicine a reality.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2003; 10: 523-530
- Patient perceptions of computed tomographic imaging and their understanding of radiation risk and exposure.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 58: 1-7
ABC News. Was Richardson’s Death Avoidable? Childs D. Markiar S. Mar 19, 2009. Accessed Sep 26, 2012. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMood-News/story?id=7116273&page=1.
New York Post. Canadacare May Have Killed Natasha. Franklin C. Mar 26, 2009. Accessed Sep 26, 2012. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/item_GCJDJyjiBPnoXPOkTu1x8L;jsessionid=25EF4E24421A03DA751B55701AE85890.
- Risk, radiation, and rationality.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 58: 9-11
- Imaging idolatry: The uneasy intersection of patient satisfaction, quality of care, and overuse.Arch Intern Med. 2009 May 25; 169: 921-923
- Patient satisfaction with medical care for low-back pain.Spine. 1986; 11 (Phila Pa 1976): 28-30
- Reducing roentgenography use. Can patient expectations be altered?.Arch Intern Med. 1987; 147: 141-145
- Randomized trial of computerized quantitative pretest probability in low-risk chest pain patients: Effect on safety and resource use.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 53: 727-735