Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety
World Health Organization. Falls. Apr 26, 2021. Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/falls.
World Health Organization. WHO Global Report on Falls Prevention in Older Age. 2007. Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.who.int/ageing/publications/Falls_prevention7March.pdf.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Important Facts About Falls. Feb 10, 2017. Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html.
- Deaths from falls among persons aged ≥65 years—United States, 2007–2016.MMWR Morb Moral Wkly Rep. 2018 May 11; 67: 509-514
US Census Bureau. 65 and Older Population Grows Rapidly as Baby Boomers Age. Jun 25, 2020. Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2020/65-older-population-grows.html.
US Census Bureau. An Aging Nation: the Older Population in the United States. Ortman JM, Velkoff VA, Hogan H. May 2014. Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2014/demo/p25-1140.pdf.
- Meta-analysis of the impact of 9 medication classes on falls in elderly persons.Arch Intern Med. 2009 Nov 23; 169: 1952-1960
- Drugs and falls in older people: a systematic review and meta-analysis: I. psychotropic drugs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999; 47: 30-39
- Psychotropic drugs and risk of recurrent falls in ambulatory nursing home residents.Am J Epidemiol. 1995 Jul 15; 142: 202-211
- HEDIS 2015: Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set, vol 2.NCQA, Washington, DC2015
National Committee for Quality Assurance. HEDIS Measures and Technical Resources Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.ncqa.org/hedis/measures/.
- Exposure to Potentially harmful drug-disease interactions in older community-dwelling veterans based on the Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set quality measure: who is at risk?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011; 59: 1673-1678
- Epidemiology of drug-disease interactions in older veteran nursing home residents.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 77-84
- J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 674-694
- Potential drug–drug and drug–disease interactions in well-functioning community-dwelling older adults.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2017; 42: 228-233
- Sociodemographic characteristics of members of a large, integrated health care system: comparison with US Census Bureau data.Perm J. 2012; 16: 37-41
- frailtypack: an R package for the analysis of correlated survival data with frailty models using penalized likelihood estimation or parametrical estimation.J Stat Softw. 2012; 47: 1-28
- Approximate is better than “exact” for interval estimation of binomial proportions.Am Stat. 1998; 52: 119-126
- Making psychological theory useful for implementing evidence based practice: a consensus approach.Qual Saf Health Care. 2005; 14: 26-33
- A guide to using the Theoretical Domains Framework of behaviour change to investigate implementation problems.Implement Sci. 2017 Jun 21; 12: 77
- Proposed Changes to Existing Measures for HEDIS® 2020: Use of High-Risk Medications in the Elderly (DAE) and Potentially Harmful Drug-Disease Interactions in the Elderly (DDE).2019 (Accessed Jan 19, 2022.)
- Determinants of potentially inappropriate medication use among community-dwelling older adults.Health Serv Res. 2017; 52: 1534-1549
- Race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and polypharmacy among older Americans.Pharmacy (Basel). 2019 Apr 25; 7: 41
- Risk factors for falls among older adults: a review of the literature.Maturitas. 2013; 75: 51-61
- Medication-related falls in the elderly: causative factors and preventive strategies.Drugs Aging. 2012 May 1; 29: 359-376
- Psychotropic drugs and falls in the elderly people: updated literature review and meta-analysis.J Aging Health. 2011; 23: 329-346
- Low systolic blood pressure from treatment and association with serious falls/syncope.Am J Prev Med. 2018; 55: 488-496
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. STEADI—Older Adult Fall Prevention. Jul 26, 2021. Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/steadi/index.html.
- Hip fractures in older adults in 2019.JAMA. 2019 Jun 11; 321: 2231-2232
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Interventions to prevent falls in community-dwelling older adults: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2018 Apr 24; 319: 1696-1704
- Patient and physician perspectives of deprescribing potentially inappropriate medications in older adults with a history of falls: a qualitative study.J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 3015-3022
- Overcoming inertia to improve medication use and deprescribing.JAMA. 2018 Nov 13; 320: 1867-1869
- Patterns of prescription drug use before and after fragility fracture.JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Oct 1; 176: 1531-1538
- Effectiveness of medication withdrawal in older fallers: results from the Improving Medication Prescribing to reduce Risk Of FALLs (IMPROveFALL) trial.Age Ageing. 2017 Jan 10; 46: 142-146
- A Quality Use of Medicines program for general practitioners and older people: a cluster randomised controlled trial.Medical J Aust. 2007 Jul 1; 187: 23-30
- Patient activation related to fall prevention: a multisite study.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2020; 46: 129-135
- Pilot testing Fall TIPS (Tailoring Interventions for Patient Safety): a patient-centered fall prevention toolkit.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2017; 43: 403-413
- Effect of a pharmacist-led educational intervention on inappropriate medication prescriptions in older adults: the D-PRESCRIBE randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018 Nov 13; 320: 1889-1898
- Effectiveness of a multifaceted intervention for potentially inappropriate prescribing in older patients in primary care: a cluster-randomized controlled trial (OPTI-SCRIPT study).Ann Fam Med. 2015; 13: 545-553
- Emergency department-based medication review on outpatient health services utilization: interrupted time series.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020 Mar 26; 20: 254
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Medicare Learning Network. Medicare Wellness Visits. (Updated: Feb 2021.) Accessed Jan 19, 2022. https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/preventive-services/medicare-wellness-visits.html.
- Falls: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and relationship to fracture.Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2008; 6: 149-154
- Risk of subsequent fracture after prior fracture among older women.Osteoporos Int. 2019; 30: 79-92
- Electronic clinical surveillance to improve outpatient care: diverse applications within an integrated delivery system.EGEMS (Wash DC). 2014 Jun 24; 2: 1056
- User-centered design improves the usability of drug-drug interaction alerts: experimental comparison of interfaces.J Biomed Inform. 2017; 66: 204-213
- Effects of workload, work complexity, and repeated alerts on alert fatigue in a clinical decision support system.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2017 Apr 10; 17: 36
- The complex interplay of depression and falls in older adults: a clinical review.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2013; 21: 484-492