Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety
- The growth of palliative care in U.S. hospitals: a status report.J Palliat Med. 2016; 19: 8-15
American College of Surgeons. Statement of Principles of Palliative Care. Aug 1, 2005. Accessed Jan 26, 2022. https://www.facs.org/about-acs/statements/50-palliative-care.
- Cost and utilization outcomes of patients receiving hospital-based palliative care consultation.J Palliat Med. 2006; 9: 855-860
- Palliative care for terminally ill patients in the intensive care unit: systematic review and metaanalysis.Palliat Support Care. 2017; 15: 376-383
- The benefits of a hospital-based inpatient palliative care consultation service: preliminary outcome data.J Palliat Med. 2005; 8: 1033-1039
- Understanding palliative care and hospice: a review for primary care providers.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 280-286
- Trends in palliative surgical care.Adv Surg. 2019; 53: 69-81
- Palliative care consultation is underutilized in critically ill general surgery patients.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2020; 37: 149-153
- Who should manage the dying patient? Rescue, shame, and the surgical ICU dilemma.J Am Coll Surg. 2002; 194: 665-673
- Interdisciplinary model for palliative care in the trauma and surgical intensive care unit: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation demonstration project for improving palliative care in the intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: S399-S403
- Developing guidelines that identify patients who would benefit from palliative care services in the surgical intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2009; 37: 946-950
- Addressing access to palliative care services in the surgical intensive care unit.Surgery. 2010; 147: 871-877
- National trends (2009–2013) for palliative care utilization for patients receiving prolonged mechanical ventilation.Crit Care Med. 2018; 46: 1230-1237
- Characteristics, hospital course, and outcomes of patients requiring prolonged acute versus short-term mechanical ventilation in the United States, 2014–2018.Crit Care Med. 2020; 48: 1587-1594
- Impact of palliative care utilization for surgical patients receiving prolonged mechanical ventilation: national trends (2009–2013).Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2020; 46: 493-500
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. HCUP User Support (HCUP-US). (Updated: Jan 12, 2022.) Accessed Jan 26, 2022. https://hcup-us.ahrq.gov/.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. NRD Overview. (Updated: Oct 18, 2021.) Accessed Jan 26, 2022. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nrdoverview.jsp.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Procedure Classes 2015. (Updated: Feb 18, 2016.) Accessed Jan 26, 2022. https://hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/procedure/procedure.jsp.
- Validation of the V66.7 code for palliative care consultation in a single academic medical center.J Palliat Med. 2017; 20: 372-377
- Prolonged acute mechanical ventilation, hospital resource utilization, and mortality in the United States.Crit Care Med. 2008; 36: 724-730
- Cost savings associated with US hospital palliative care consultation programs.Arch Intern Med. 2008 Sep 8; 168: 1783-1790
- The impact of inpatient palliative care consultations on 30-day hospital readmissions.J Palliat Med. 2015; 18: 956-961
- Palliative care transitions from acute care to community-based care—a systematic review.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019; 58 (e1): 721-734
- Economics of mechanical ventilation and respiratory failure.Crit Care Clin. 2021; 28: 39-55
- Long-term outcomes and health care utilization after prolonged mechanical ventilation.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017; 14: 355-462
- Surgeons, intensivists, and the covenant of care: administrative models and values affecting care at the end of life—updated.Crit Care Med. 2003; 31: 1551-1557
- Developing triggers for the surgical intensive care unit for palliative care integration.J Crit Care. 2016; 35: 7-11
- The morality of using mortality as a financial incentive: unintended consequences and implications for acute hospital care.JAMA. 2013 Jun 5; 309: 2213-2214
- Surgeons’ perceived barriers to palliative and end-of-life care: a mixed methods study of a surgical society.J Palliat Med. 2018; 21: 780-788
- Few hospital palliative care programs meet national staffing recommendations.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016 Sep 1; 35: 1690-1697
- Family perspectives on end-of-life care at the last place of care.JAMA. 2004 Jan 7; 291: 88-93
- A controlled trial to improve care for seriously ill hospitalized patients. The study to understand prognoses and preferences for outcomes and risks of treatments (SUPPORT). The SUPPORT Principal Investigators.JAMA. Nov 1995; 274 (22–29): 1591-1598