Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety
- Understanding Patient Safety.3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York2018
- To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System.National Academy Press, Washington, DC2000
World Health Organization. Patient Safety. Sep 13, 2019. Accessed Jun 26, 2022. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/patient-safety.
American Medical Association. Promoting Patient Safety: Code of Medical Ethics Opinion 8.6. Accessed Jun 26, 2022. https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/ethics/promoting-patient-safety.
- A system of medical error disclosure.Qual Saf Health Care. 2002; 11: 64-68
- Patients’ experience of surgical accidents.Qual Health Care. 1993; 2: 77-82
- Medical errors in the outpatient setting: ethics in practice.J Clin Ethics. 2002; 13: 291-300
- Patients’ and doctors’ attitudes to amount of information given after unintended injury during treatment: cross sectional, questionnaire survey.BMJ. 1999 Mar 6; 318: 640-641
- How do patients want physicians to handle mistakes? A survey of internal medicine patients in an academic setting.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 156 (Dec 9–23): 2565-2569
- Disclosing harmful medical errors to patients: a time for professional action.Arch Intern Med. 2005 Sep 12; 165: 1819-1824
- Patients’ and physicians’ attitudes regarding the disclosure of medical errors.JAMA. 2003 Feb 26; 289: 1001-1007
- After Harm: Medical Error and the Ethics of Forgiveness.Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore2005
- Avoiding cheap grace: medical harm, patient safety, and the culture(s) of forgiveness.Hastings Cent Rep. 2003; 33: 28-36
- Resolving harmful medical mistakes—is there a role for forgiveness?.Virtual Mentor. 2011 Sep 1; 13: 647-654
- More than words: patients’ views on apology and disclosure when things go wrong in cancer care.Patient Educ Couns. 2013; 90: 341-346
- Patients’ experiences with communication-and-resolution programs after medical injury.JAMA Intern Med. 2017 Nov 1; 177: 1595-1603
- Cultural diversity at the end of life: issues and guidelines for family physicians.Am Fam Physician. 2005 Feb 1; 71: 515-522
- Health plan members’ views about disclosure of medical errors.Ann Intern Med. 2004 Mar 16; 140: 409-418
- The safety of health care for ethnic minority patients: a systematic review.Int J Equity Health. 2020 Jul 8; 19: 118
- Social disparities in patient safety in primary care: a systematic review.Int J Equity Health. 2018 Aug 7; 17: 114
- Advancing safety and equity together.N Engl J Med. 2020 Jan 23; 382: 301-303
- The views and experiences of patients and health-care professionals on the disclosure of adverse events: a systematic review and qualitative meta-ethnographic synthesis.Health Expect. 2020; 23: 571-583
- Communicating with patients about medical errors: a review of the literature.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164 (Aug 9–23): 1690-1697
- Disclosure of patient safety incidents: a comprehensive review.Int J Qual Health Care. 2010; 22: 371-379
Covidence. Home page. Accessed Jun 26, 2022. https://www.covidence.org.
- Patient age influences perceptions about health care communication.Fam Med. 2009; 41: 126-133
- Improving patient safety in developing countries—moving towards an integrated approach.JRSM Open. 2018 Nov 12; 92054270418786112
- Patient safety in developing countries: retrospective estimation of scale and nature of harm to patients in hospital.BMJ. 2012 Mar 13; 344: e832
- What stage are low-income and middle-income countries (LMICs) at with patient safety curriculum implementation and what are the barriers to implementation? A two-stage cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2017 Jun 15; 7e016110
- Measures of patient safety in developing and emerging countries: a review of the literature.Qual Saf Health Care. 2010; 19: 48-54
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Patient Safety Network. Patient Safety in Frail Older Patients. Nov 26, 2019. Accessed Jun 26, 2022. https://psnet.ahrq.gov/perspective/patient-safety-frail-older-patients.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Medication Safety Program: Adverse Drug Events in Adults. Oct 11, 2017. Accessed Jun 26, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/medicationsafety/adult_adversedrugevents.html.
National Institute on Aging. The National Institute on Aging: Strategic Directions 2020–2025. Accessed Jun 26, 2022. https://www.nia.nih.gov/about/aging-strategic-directions-research.
- Public health and aging: trends in aging—United States and Worldwide.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003 Feb 14; (EpubAccessed Jun 26, 2022)
- Patient safety in marginalised groups: a narrative scoping review.Int J Equity Health. 2020 Feb 12; 19: 26
- Patient race/ethnicity, age, gender and education are not related to preference for or response to disclosure.Qual Saf Health Care. 2008; 17: 65-70
- Single data extraction generated more errors than double data extraction in systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 697-703
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 344-349
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e297
- Medical errors—what and when: what do patients want to know?.Acad Emerg Med. 2002; 9: 1156-1161
- Patient preferences in cases of inter-system medical error discovery (IMED).Ann Surg. 2021 Mar 1; 273: 516-522
- Patient assessments of a hypothetical medical error: effects of health outcome, disclosure, and staff responsiveness.Qual Saf Health Care. 2006; 15: 136-141
- Public perceptions and preferences for patient notification after an unsafe injection.J Patient Saf. 2013; 9: 8-12
- Disclosing medical errors to patients: it's not what you say, it's what they hear.J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24: 1012-1017
- Racial/ethnic differences in physician distrust in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 1283-1289
- Taking vaccine to where the virus is—equity and effectiveness in coronavirus vaccinations.JAMA Health Forum. 2021; 2e210213